Software Tool for Seamless Parameter Extraction and Characterization of Schottky Barrier Diodes based on Emerging Implicit Differentiable Models
Coordinated by: Gheorghe Pristavu
Other persons involved in the project
Răzvan Pascu (CS II), Dan-Theodor Oneață (CS III), Andrei Enache (drd.), Matei Șerbănescu (drd.)
Project no. TE 17 ⁄ 2022 (UPB: CAMP 2204)
Project Coordinator – POLITEHNICA University Bucharest
The project objectives are:
- Validating the existing p-diode model equations and investigating extension possibilities which allow for SBD characterization over the widest usable temperature range (from cryogenic up to 675K).
- Implementing a parameter extraction and optimization algorithm based on implicit differentiable techniques (IDTs) with the underlying p-diode model. Developing a software tool for seamless SBD characterization.
- Fabricating SiC Schottky barrier diodes with different areas and metal-semiconductor contacts (Ni, Pt, Cr, Ti/4H-SiC).
- Establishing a data bank with forward characteristics of SDBs with different contact areas and Schottky metals.
Phase 1. Preliminary electrical measurements, analysis of optimal parameterization techniques and technological flow design.
Phase I, taking place in 2022, is focused on identifying appropriate techniques for extracting and optimizing Schottky diode parameters. It is also aimed at experimental investigations of Schottky diodes on SiC. Specifically, a database with forward measurements will be developed, which will serve to validate the parameterization software solution. In order to enhance the stock of UPB's experimental devices, phase I also targets the development of technological processes for manufacturing new batches of Schottky diodes on SiC.
Phase 1 results:
- Research report
- Three conference participations (CAS 2022, ICSCRM 2022) leading to 2 papers being published in proceedings, and one being presented as a poster:
- R. Pascu, G. Pristavu, M. Stoian, C. Romanitan, M. Kusko, F. Draghici, D.-T. Oneata, G. Brezeanu , "The effect of forming gas annealing on Al/Ti/n-Si contacts," 2022 International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), 2022, pp. 127-130, doi: 10.1109/CAS56377.2022.9934472.
- V. Moise, F. Draghici, G. Pristavu, R. Pascu, D. -T. Oneata, G. Brezeanu, "Intelligent Temperature Sensor with SiC Schottky Diode," 2022 International Semiconductor Conference (CAS), 2022, pp. 123-126, doi: 10.1109/CAS56377.2022.9934369.
- V. Moise, F. Draghici, G. Pristavu, R. Pascu, F. Mitu, G. Brezeanu, "Wide Range Temperature Sensor with SiC Schottky Diode – Error Source Analysis,", prezentare poster la The 19th edition of the International Conference on Silicon Carbide and Related Materials (ICSCRM), 11-16 Sept., 2022.
- Project web-page
Fig. 1.1 Low temperature characterization system for Schottky diodes on SiC.
Fig. 1.2 High temperature characterization system for Schottky diodes on SiC.
Fig. 1.3 Forward characteristics and theoretical modeling for a Ti/4H-SiC Schottky diode at various temperatures.
Fig. 1.4 Forward characteristics and theoretical modeling for a Ni/4H-SiC Schottky diode at various temperatures.