Thin Film Nano-Transistors Implemented by Nanotechnologies and Organic Technologies at Room Temperature
Coordinated by: Cristian Ravariu
Other persons involved in the project
- Prof. Dan Mihăiescu
- Prof. Anton Ficai
- Drd. Alexandru Topor
- Drd. Bogdan Purcăreanu
UEFISCDI Code: PN-III- P4-ID- PCE-2016- 0480
Project Type: Exploratory Research Project
Contract no: 4/2017
Period: July 2017 - December 2019
Abstract: The main objective of this project is the fabrication and development of some electronic devices, having all in common a technology based on nano-core- shell NCS nanocomposite type. In IEEE Spectrum (2014), some NASA researchers claimed that the vacuum transistors or transistors made by Nothing are the immediate future devices suitable for co-integration within CMOS ICs. We start this project from preliminary results, developed in a POSDRU PostDoc Project (closed in 2013), accompanied by 12 papers, 2 patent about Organic thin film transistors (OTFT) and so called Nothing On Insulator (NOI) transistor - as exponents of thin film on insulator devices. For the first time, is offered a real solution to manufacture the NOI transistor, particularly by NCS- multi-layers assembling, validated by experimental tests. The CNT-related materials are promising to create NOI devices as alternative nanomaterials. Despite to a rapid progress of technology, OTFT with reasonable electronic characteristics, in absence of toxic precursors, remains a serious challenge. To improve the OTFT device performances we envisage the structure optimization by Silvaco tools simulations. To fabricate OTFT we select green routes, electing nanocomposites coated by green organic conductive polymers doped with organic ions to offer p or n type semiconductor behavior. This proposal has an interdisciplinary character, create a bridge nanotechnology for simple-TFT, SOI/NOI transistors and OTFT, get an innovative character by NCS nanocomposites and green-polymers used in nanoelectronics, respond to the international demands about other devices than CMOS to be co-integrated and offer room temperature technology for transistors, avoiding ultra-expensive clean room conditions. The disseminations mainly envisage papers publishing in ISI journals with accent to red-yellow code, conferences participation, 1 patent, 1 book or chapter, 1 IEEE Workshop, 1 Colloquium, 2 socio-cultural meetings.
- nano-transistors fabrication by nanotechnology based onto the nano-core- shell NCS-multilayer synthesis and by this nano-technology - the first time implementation of simple- TFT and NOI (Nothing On Insulator transistor);
- new nano-compounds for electronics synthesis and materials characterization (by FTIR, X-R, TEM etc);
- development of some NOI derivative devices: NOI-MIM or the NOI -triode or diode, with enhanced performances, accounting novel parameters, alternative materials;
- simulation, design and construction of OTFT transistors by green technology at room temperature, using green conductive polymers doped by organic/inorganic ions to offer modulated semiconductor properties;
- defining the applications of these devices.
Scientific results per project:
- min 3 papers in Red-Yellow zone;
- min 6 ISI indexed papers;
- 1 research book published at International Publ. Press (Springer, Elsevier, IEEE etc),
- 1 patent proposal;
- min 1 Proposal at International Research Competition;
- 1 Mini-colloquium EDS15 and 1 Workshop SSCS37, atracting co-funds from these IEEE Chapters, 1 social with high school students and 1 cultural colloquium with AAPB.
Technical results per project:
- fabrication nanotechnology based onto the nano-core- shell NCS-multilayer synthesis and by this nano-technology
- the first time implementation of simple- TFT and NOI.
- development of some NOI derivative conceptual devices: NOI-MIM or the NOI diodes under Zaidman model, a conceptual NOI-nano- triode device.
- construction of an OTFT transistor at room temperature, by green nano- technologies and polymers.
- Stage I. Start TFT development by simulations and organic nanocomposites synthesis.
- Stage II. Organic-Thin Film Transistors OTFT - the bridge between NOI and TFT transistors.